Letsrecover recovery forum

This is a trigger-free recovery help forum for those recovering from restrictive eating disorders, such as anorexia, bulimia, binge-restrict, overexercise or ednos.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Jump to 3000?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Jump to 3000? on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:20 am

I've increased to about 2000 but I've been gaining weight rapidly. The scale ticks up every day and jumps up frequently without going back down, so I don't think it's water retention. Does anyone have any experience with gaining LESS when they increased their intake to 3000?

View user profile

2 Re: Jump to 3000? on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:22 am

I'm already weight restored

View user profile

3 Re: Jump to 3000? on Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:18 pm

What do you mean by weight restored? A "healthy" BMI?

View user profile

4 Re: Jump to 3000? on Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:09 pm

I've gained and overshot my setpoint.

View user profile

5 Re: Jump to 3000? on Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:39 pm

So you have overshot you set point by eating too little?

View user profile

6 Re: Jump to 3000? on Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:51 pm

Yes. I know it sounds ridiculous

View user profile

7 Re: Jump to 3000? on Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:29 pm

No, it's actually not. If you increase your intake from a very low one, the extra food is going to build up fat in your body - and only that. The extra food will not repair any damages, fix your metabolism, build your muscles, fix your hormone balance or anything else. This is WHY you have overshot. I know it may sound counter intuitive at first, but it's really not. You have gained back fat - but you have NOT gained back your normal body functions (like metabolism). Your body is just saving up extra fat to prepare for the next famine because it still doesn't trust that enough food will be around for a long time.

You definetely need to increase to 3000+ if you're a girl, bolw 25 years old and at normal height. Please read the FAQ section at letsrecover.tumblr.com and see for yourself that this DOES apply to you as well. Also check the list of signs of stavation: http://letsrecover.tumblr.com/post/85603285615/how-do-i-know-if-my-body-is-in-starvation-mode

2000 kcal is enough for a child before puberty hits, or elderly people that doesn't move alot and don't have any development left to do. EVERYONE else should eat 2500+ (if normal height) and 3000 + if they aren't fully developed (below 25 years old which is the age where most people are adults according to biology).

Does any of this make sense to you? If not - visit www.youreatopia.com and review the science yourself Smile

View user profile

8 Re: Jump to 3000? on Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:41 pm

It makes a ton of sense..thank you!! I've read all of letsrecover and YE probably a million times each, but I struggle to trust that it applies to my situation. I'm actually 32 and have had anorexia since I was about 11. I'm pretty active just by default and I know I'd still be hungry on 2500. I know it's just a minimum but eating that much and still being hungry scares me! Does hunger indicate a suppressed metabolism? I know I need to take a leap of faith, but it's sooooo hard because I'm scared there is something wrong with me or because I'm on thyroid meds that my metabolism won't kick in. Can you feel it when you're eating enough that the body shifts from storing to burning?

View user profile

9 Re: Jump to 3000? on Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:28 pm

I know it's scary but you really need to take a leap of faith (which is really a leap of science). Hunger only indicates that your body wants food. This feeling should always lead to you eating. You can feel that you are eating enough by noticing that all symptoms of starvation are gone. That's the only way to know because hunger and satiety cues get really wierd when you're restricting. Increase to at least 2500 and stop exercising (you may think your activity level is like that on default, but I promise you that can change). I promise you it'll be worth it! Hugs Smile

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum