Letsrecover recovery forum

This is a trigger-free recovery help forum for those recovering from restrictive eating disorders, such as anorexia, bulimia, binge-restrict, overexercise or ednos.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Weight gain and not knowing the number??? To weigh or not to weigh??

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hello wonderful letsrecover forum. I was just looking for some suggestions on how to stay motivated to keep going with the weight gain process! I just came from the dietician, where I do blind weigh ins, and she told me I was stable but still several pounds away from my goal (which is the minimum she has set for me). I have gotten to this point eating approximately 1500-2000 calories a day with no to very little exercise. I have no idea what my current weight is and that really is messing with me. It is like I think I will be more comfortable gaining if I go back to weighing myself and feel a little more in control ( I use to weigh myself once a day). I know that I am close to or most likely at 18.5 bmi (sorry if I am not suppose to put that), but didn't know if anyone has found weighing themselves to help with the process? I know as a rule it is not recommended, but I am having a hard time making the jump to 2500 calories without knowing the weight. I am 41 years old is why I use the 2500 guideline. She also told me that once I get to my restored weight I should be able to maintain on 2000 calories with normal exercise routine, which kind of went against everything I have read here. I am so thankful for your site as it has gotten me this far along with a lot of faith & prayer. Just some background, prior to this point I was restricting and mainly over exercising. My calorie intake was never scary low, but my exercise was quite excessive. I have been anorexic for a little over 3 1/2 years. Any support would be greatly appreciated. I know so many can relate and I do indeed find comfort in that. Thanks again Smile

View user profile

In my opinion, 1500-2000 calories are still way too low! I'd recommend jumping to those 2500 and no exercise - it's the best thing you can do for your health and your recovery. Your weight doesn't matter, your body will gain until you're at your setpoint Very Happy
If you fear that knowing your weight could trigger you, don't weigh yourself. Perhaps it's your ED that wants the control back? If you do weigh yourself, do it once a week, NOT more because weight fluctuates every damn day and this can often be very irritating.
Regarding your motivation, I'd recommend reading this amazing post!

Thanks! I really appreciate the support. I know that I need to make the jump and refer to this site regularly to remind myself that "I am not a rare unicorn", but as we all know it is definitely difficult. I don't know if knowing my weight will trigger me or not, my husband thinks it will. He keeps reminding me to just focus on how I feel and look not a number. He is supportive on that end, but does struggle with understanding my thoughts. Thanks again! Smile Smile

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum