Letsrecover recovery forum

This is a trigger-free recovery help forum for those recovering from restrictive eating disorders, such as anorexia, bulimia, binge-restrict, overexercise or ednos.

You are not connected. Please login or register

How do I get started?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 How do I get started? on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:49 am

Hi everyone! I've struggled with bulimia for almost ten years Sad I've been inpatient (for a week) had about 10 different therapists, seen numerous drs, and psychiatrists and tried a number of different medications for my anxiety. Point is, nothing has worked. I just heard about Minnie Maude on Instagram a couple weeks ago. The high calories and not working out are scary for me, but I'm so so miserable like this I'm ready to try ANYTHING!! So what do I do? How do I go from restricting all day and b/p at night to eating normally? How many calories do I start with? I honestly don't even know where to begin! Any advice would be helpful! Thanks!

View user profile

2 Re: How do I get started? on Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:37 am

I'd say start with 1500 calories and then gradually increase with 200-300 calories evey 2-3days until you reached 2500 and then you can jump up to 3000 calories Smile the binging will stop when you do not restrict and do not purge!!! If you binge and purge everything will start again so never ever purge and break the cycle! Smile

View user profile

3 Re: How do I get started? on Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:15 am

First of all, go to letsrecover.tumblr.com and click on "Recovery guide". You'll find alot of information there to help you get started. Then, increase your intake by following food plans or by counting calories. If you want food plans, google "food plan xxxx kcal", but make sure you find plans that include a great amount of carbohydrates and fat. Too much protein will make your stomach go nuts and you need the carbs and fat to repair the damage in your body. Here's a 2700 plan:

Food plan 2700 kcal 
Breakfast
80 g dry oats (around 200 ml) with 200 ml full-fat milk and 50 g raisins (around  5 tbsp)
1 glass of juice

Snack
1 banana, 20 g almonds (around 20 almonds)

Lunch
2 slices of bread with full-fat butter, full-fat cheese and ham
2 dates
1 glass of juice or 1 fruit OR 1 glass of milk or yoghurt

Dinner
100 g rice (uncooked weight!), 1/2 chicken fillet, 1 large tbsp of pesto
1 glass of juice or 1 fruit
50 g chocolate afterwards as a snack

Night snack
4 rice cakes with a thick layer of nutella and peanutbutter

This one is around 2700. The reason why I have rice cakes in the end is because they are not filling at all. 200 ml is 2 dl, and 100 g uncooked rice is around 1/2 cup/3.5 ounce). It is of course ok to change things, but try not to change for example dates with protein shake, because you need the carbs. Here are some examples of things you can replace with x;

- You can cook the oats
- 2 slices of bread can be replaced with 4 crispbreads
- 1 banana can be replaced with 1,5 other fruit (that equals 100 calories), and almonds can be replaced with other nuts
- Nutella can be replaced with 1 banana (2 rice cakes with pb, 2 with banana).
- Dates can be replaced with 40 g dried apricots or any other dried fruit
- Chicken can be replaced with around 60 g vegetarian meat
- Chicken and pesto can be replaced with mince with butter and some other high-calorie sauce
- Pesto can be replaced with some other high calorie sauce or full-fat butter
- 4 rice cakes can be replaced with 2 crispbreads or 1 slice of bread, but then add an extra thick layer of spread and maybe eat some nuts, 1 glass of milk etc. on the side
- Get Fresubin 400 calorie drinks or NutriDrink 300 calorie drinks if you get too full. Remember to gradually increase your intake.
- 1 NutriDrink can replace the chocolate for dessert. You can choose dark chocolate if you struggle with normal chocolate, or ice cream, candy etc.

Try to figure out what you're really afraid of is going to happen if you increase and let go of your ED. Then go find the answers to your questions by asking on this webpage or searching through the websites youreatopia.com and letsrecover.tumblr.com.

I wish you the best of luck  I love you Choose real recovery!

View user profile

4 Re: How do I get started? on Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:25 pm

The truth is that you have already started; you have realized that ANYTHING is better than the hell of living with an eating disorder. That realization is the key to start the action. You have a medical team to support you, and you can work together with them to come up with a personal plan for you to start with. Tell them about Minnie Maud, study and show them some Youreatopia.com and/or letsrecover.tumblr.com articles and start your new better life Smile

To make refeeding safe for you, you need to increase first slowly to avoid refeeding syndrome.

I'm sure that even if it is a struggle and a very very hard thing to go through, in a way it really gives you some peace and relief to finally just eat, nourish your body and soul and bring you back to life <3 It is and it will be worth it. I promise.

View user profile

5 Re: How do I get started? on Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:45 am

Thanks for all your responses!

View user profile

6 Re: How do I get started? on Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:46 pm

I am SO HAPPY you want to recover! That in itself is a big step.

The advice you have already received is good, I don't really have anything to add. I just want to say that from my own experiencing, starting new eating habits are not nearly as awful, terrifying and difficult as your disordered mind tells you they will be. The hardest part is ignoring the lying ED voice and your fear long enough to just try. And you need support from people in real life. I don't know what your home/family situation is, but whoever you live with (parents, siblings, roommate, partner) needs to know what you're going through so they can help support you in any way possible at home, in addittion to whatever medical help you are getting.

Congratulations on seeking recovery! You can do this!

7 Re: How do I get started? on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:03 am

Amalie

Admin
susannsk89 wrote:First of all, go to letsrecover.tumblr.com and click on "Recovery guide". You'll find alot of information there to help you get started. Then, increase your intake by following food plans or by counting calories. If you want food plans, google "food plan xxxx kcal", but make sure you find plans that include a great amount of carbohydrates and fat. Too much protein will make your stomach go nuts and you need the carbs and fat to repair the damage in your body. Here's the 2700 plan that Amalie used in her recovery:

Food plan 2700 kcal 
Breakfast
80 g dry oats (around 200 ml) with 200 ml full-fat milk and 50 g raisins (around  5 tbsp)
1 glass of juice

Snack

Lunch
2 dates

Dinner

Night snack

This one is around 2700. The reason why I have rice cakes in the end is because they are not filling at all. 200 ml is 2 dl, and 100 g uncooked rice is around 1/2 cup/3.5 ounce). It is of course ok to change things, but try not to change for example dates with protein shake, because you need the carbs. Here are some examples of things you can replace with x;

- You can cook the oats
- 1 banana can be replaced with 1,5 other fruit (that equals 100 calories), and almonds can be replaced with other nuts
- Chicken and pesto can be replaced with mince with butter and some other high-calorie sauce
- 4 rice cakes can be replaced with 2 crispbreads or 1 slice of bread, but then add an extra thick layer of spread and maybe eat some nuts, 1 glass of milk etc. on the side
- Get Fresubin 400 calorie drinks or NutriDrink 300 calorie drinks if you get too full. Remember to gradually increase your intake.
- 1 NutriDrink can replace the chocolate for dessert. You can choose dark chocolate if you struggle with normal chocolate, or ice cream, candy etc.

Try to figure out what you're really afraid of is going to happen if you increase and let go of your ED. Then go find the answers to your questions by asking on this webpage or searching through the websites youreatopia.com and letsrecover.tumblr.com.

That is an example meal plan, not mine. I had 3000 calories Very Happy Edited it.

View user profile http://letsrecover.tumblr.com

8 Re: How do I get started? on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:03 am

Amalie

Admin
susannsk89 wrote:First of all, go to letsrecover.tumblr.com and click on "Recovery guide". You'll find alot of information there to help you get started. Then, increase your intake by following food plans or by counting calories. If you want food plans, google "food plan xxxx kcal", but make sure you find plans that include a great amount of carbohydrates and fat. Too much protein will make your stomach go nuts and you need the carbs and fat to repair the damage in your body. Here's the 2700 plan that Amalie used in her recovery:

Food plan 2700 kcal 
Breakfast
1 glass of juice

Snack

Lunch
2 dates

Dinner

Night snack

- You can cook the oats

That is an example meal plan, not mine. I had 3000 calories Very Happy Edited it.

View user profile http://letsrecover.tumblr.com

9 Re: How do I get started? on Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:12 am

Thank you for correcting me, Amalie. But it's a nice plan anyways Smile

View user profile

10 Re: How do I get started? on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:33 pm

Just a question, in France we have different measure unit.

By us a glass of juice is 125ml...and you ? what is a glass juice/milk ?
By us 1 yoghurt is 125g and you ?
1 Slice of bread is 50 calories and you what would be the equivalent calories for 2 slices bread?
Ham usually comes by 30 or 50 calories slices what about you what would be the equivalent ?
By us butter comes by 5g
And a fruit or vegetable measure is 100g and you and what would be the equivalent?

all this regarding the meal plan ????

thanks thanks thanks !!!

View user profile

11 Re: How do I get started? on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:53 pm

Norway:

Glass of milk/juice: 2 dl / 200 ml
Yoghurt: 125 g
1 slice of bread: 80 kcal
Ham: 10 kcal (it's very lean)
Butter: 5-8 g (I think those portion packages are 10 g, and are supposed to be for two slices, but I think it's way too little)
Fruit, approximate measures, depends on size: banana 100 kcal, apple/pear/orange 70 kcal

View user profile

12 Re: How do I get started? on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:56 pm

what about you others? in different countries ???

View user profile

13 Re: How do I get started? on Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:58 pm

Vegetables are not very calorie dense, so I wouldn't mind counting them. Maybe just potatoes and such which are 70-80 kcal per 100 gram.

View user profile

14 Re: How do I get started? on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:02 pm

so in the meal plan what would be the equivalent of 2 slices bread ? 150 calories
hand ham or cheese ? in equivalent calories ?

View user profile

15 Re: How do I get started? on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:25 pm

Ham: 1-2 slices per slice of bread --> 10-20 kcal
Cheese: cover the whole bread. If it's pre-sliced then I would use 1.5 slices per slice of bread. If it's soft cheese, then spread about 2 tablespoons over the slice as good as you can. Count the cheese as about 100 kcal per slice of bread.

View user profile

16 Re: How do I get started? on Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:59 pm

Terrific so a reasonable sandwich would be with French measuring
3 slices of bread
3 slices of ham (+/- 50 calories)
cheese would be for a French portion: hard cheese 25g and soft cheese 40g (such as ricotta...)
Butter :10g

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum