Letsrecover recovery forum

This is a trigger-free recovery help forum for those recovering from restrictive eating disorders, such as anorexia, bulimia, binge-restrict, overexercise or ednos.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Recovery method (Fairburn)

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Recovery method (Fairburn) on Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:36 pm

My ED clinic's treatment is based on the book "Overcoming binge eating" by Christopher G. Fairburn. Does any of you have experiences with this recovery method? I'm outpatient (sessions at the clinic two times a week).

I'm only two weeks in, but I have to make my own meal plans (I decide what food and in what amount) the day before and I have to follow them religiously. I know that my treatment team will make changes eventually, but they won't tell me about it. I'm so confused and I hate that they give me the responsibility of my own intake. I mean, that hasn't really worked out well before, which is why i'm in treatment for anorexia? They don't tell me anything, they don't have any opinions about my intake - all they care about is that I follow a plan. I just don't understand what this is supposed to lead to. I get weighed every week, but there's no talk about gaining or losing weight at the moment. I have gained quite a lot (started recovery a bit on my own before getting professional help), but my BMI indicates i'm still a little underweight. I want to follow MM but my clinic's recovery method is so rigid. I can't give in to extreme hunger if the food is not planned the day before, which is not possible.

Any ideas?

Last edited by eline on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

2 Re: Recovery method (Fairburn) on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:02 pm

According to my own experiences, and many other's, all my physical problems and nearly all my mental problems disappeared by themselves without me doing anything (except letting food getting into my body and do its work). And that could not have happened if I hadn't eaten by the MM minima. What I'm afraid will happen if you choose your own intake is that you won't eat enough to get to that point yourself. I know I wouldn't. 

In principle it's not that bad that they are taking some control away from you (by not telling you everything), but I would say their priorities are messed up. First, it's necessary to get you to eat the right amounts, and then you can work on any control issues you have later.

As for the strict planning of meals the day before, it's quite counterintuitive I think. If a method is to be successful, it needs to challenge you to do the exact opposite of what your ED tells you. As for my part, during my ED I would plan my meals for two weeks ahead, making me think that this clinic is actually supporting such ED behaviors rather that wiping them out. No healthy people would plan everything they are going to eat the next day. And it's very important to follow extreme hunger because it's your body taking control, and not you loosing it. 
Please ask the clinic to give you some explanations to why their method should work.

View user profile

3 Re: Recovery method (Fairburn) on Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:43 pm

maybe buy some snacks you can have in your room on top of your plan when EH hits you? sorry but that sounds like a not really helpful treatment

View user profile

4 Re: Recovery method (Fairburn) on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:20 am

The fact that your treatment team would give "Overcoming binge eating" to someone in treatment for anorexia (!?!?!?) is just plain horrid. If that isn't contradictory, then what is?

When I was inpatient, my treatment team based their methods on Fairburn too. Let me just say that this inpatient setting did not help me. They tried to "cure" me for undereating and overeating - at the same time. However, I know now that my "overeating" was just a direct result of me undereating in the first place. This is something my treatment team should have been able to tell me.

View user profile http://www.sjokoladeilomma.blogg.no

5 Re: Recovery method (Fairburn) on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:30 am

That is exactly what i'm experiencing - they're trying to cure me for undereating and overeating at the same time. But I don't know what to do about it. I confronted my therapist at the clinic with my concerns today, and the only thing she said about it was "That was a good point. I haven't really thought about it". I mean, this is clearly not helping me at all. But I can't just 'drop out' of my treatment?

View user profile

6 Re: Recovery method (Fairburn) on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:33 am

Could you show them some articles and demand their opinion? Something from Your Eatopia, letsrecover.tumblr.com...?

7 Re: Recovery method (Fairburn) on Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:34 am

Or ask them why they don't use the same methods as other ED clinics do (Modum or Capio, for example)

8 Re: Recovery method (Fairburn) on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:12 pm

The thing is, they're very strict about this method. They believe this treatment leads to the best results (apparently 2/3 of the patients get "well"). I was warned before I accepted their help that it would be difficult, hard and very tiresome. They asked me to really think about it before I said yes. They also don't want their patients to reflect on or criticize this recovery method. So I guess it's kind of my fault, but it's the only ED clinic in this city (Bergen). I might bring my therapist some articles from Your Eatopia (which she is already familiar with), but I don't think she'll like it.

View user profile

9 Re: Recovery method (Fairburn) on Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:56 pm

I understand, the same "policy" applied to my inpatient setting - I had a contract that I had to follow the whole time, and I had to accept their methods.
However, this is all your priority (at least if you are volunteerly inpatient). If you think you'll benefit from this, or if you want to stick with it because it is better than waiting for better help alone - then stay where you are. If, on the other hand, you think that this inpatient setting will/can do more harm than good, get out of there. You don't owe this treatment team anything. Your health is your own responsibility. If you want something else, then that is okay. You have the right to choose as a legal citizen, no one can (or should) try to guilttrip you just because one method does not work for you. The treatment centers exist to help people, not to "be virtuous saints that no one can escape from".
If applicable, why not see your doctor and ask for a different treatment option?

10 Re: Recovery method (Fairburn) on Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:02 am

Amalie

Admin
When you say ''only ED clinic in Bergen'' I know which one you mean, as my sister has worked there (inpatient though). 3000 calories, minimum bmi 20. Thats what she told me, at least how it was when she worked there. What my sister also told me was that it is ok to give into extreme hunger. Completely ok. She has worked a lot with eating disorders.

View user profile http://letsrecover.tumblr.com

11 Re: Recovery method (Fairburn) on Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:43 pm

Amalie: Yes, I'm sure we're talking about the same clinic (Haukeland). But the rules about 3000 calories is for inpatients. I had started recovery on my own about a month before I recieved any treatment, so I was almost normal weight when I started there. So I guess my treatment was a little bit different. Now I'm almost BMI 20 and things have worked out well. Since I was able to decide how much I wanted to eat, I took a somewhat brave decision to eat 3000 calories a day. I ate chocolate all the time. It really helped me.

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum