Letsrecover recovery forum

This is a trigger-free recovery help forum for those recovering from restrictive eating disorders, such as anorexia, bulimia, binge-restrict, overexercise or ednos.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Am i totally recovered?

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Am i totally recovered? on Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:16 pm

Hi, i'm a 20 years girl who suffered From anorexia for almost 2 years. With my dietician i reached a BMI of 18 more or less, i have my periods from this august, i'm feeling quite well, my life has changed and it is so much better now! But there's a problem. to exit from anorexia i have fallen into another disorder, orthorexia, but I'm slowly managing to fight and trying to go against every possible fear, eating what I want, not wasting time counting sugar, fat, etc. Now i read on youreatopia that 2500 is the minimum intake for a normal girl, but actually i'm manteining around 1800 and doing gym twice a week! I don't now what to do bc i don't know if i'm totally restored and i'm afraid to eat more because i don't want (and i don't need!) to gain Sad

View user profile

2 Re: Am i totally recovered? on Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:59 pm

It doesn't sound like you're totally recovered to me. The reason for me saying this is the fact that you still have ED thoughts. Many of these thoughts come as a direct result of having a undernourished body. So you do need to gain. 18 is defined as underweight and if you were to get sick or something, then your body would have no emergency resources. That could send you into a downward spiral of anorexia again.
And 1800 calories is the amount of a prepubertal child. Read the articles under "Calorie needs" in the FAQ section on letsrecover.tumblr.com

View user profile

3 Re: Am i totally recovered? on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:26 pm

This link is quite helpful, explaining why it's not okay to live on less than the guideline amounts (even worse if it's much lower, which it is for you):
http://letsrecover.tumblr.com/post/83422382366/i-am-maintaining-a-healthy-weight-on-around-1400

View user profile

4 Re: Am i totally recovered? on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:57 pm

Thank you so much! But it's so strange to me, i think i never eat +2500 kcal in my whole Life and with this actually diet i don't feel myself as starved or something similar. I do not feel hungry at any time during the day, only in the morning and mid-afternoon so I don't understand why I should force my body to eat more even if i don't feel the need :/

View user profile

5 Re: Am i totally recovered? on Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Obviously i mean in the morning before breakfast and afternoon befor snack Smile Sorry FOR my english but i'm italian!

View user profile

6 Re: Am i totally recovered? on Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:27 am

I think your English is good, so don't worry Smile
I understand that it may seem counterintuitive to eat more than your hunger tells you, but this is because your body has gone into starvation mode. This means that the body has turned off several functions, which you may or may not notice.
You should acknowledge yourself for getting as far as you have, even though you still have a little left. Smile

View user profile

7 Re: Am i totally recovered? on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:19 pm

I will talk about that With my dietician! THANK YOU SO MUCH <3

View user profile

8 Re: Am i totally recovered? on Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:53 pm

You're welcome Smile 
I feel quite upset that your nutritionist doesn't know these things. She/he should have this knowledge. I know I would never have recovered if I was put on a diet of too few calories. Having a healthy relationship with amounts of food is so important to fully recover Smile

Stay strong! We wish you all the best Smile

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum