Letsrecover recovery forum

This is a trigger-free recovery help forum for those recovering from restrictive eating disorders, such as anorexia, bulimia, binge-restrict, overexercise or ednos.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Extreme hunger/binge

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Extreme hunger/binge on Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:13 pm

Hey!

I would really like to hear other peoples experience of extreme hunger and bingeing. How long in recovery did it last? How did it stop? And is it true that if you have had anorexia you can't get binge eating disorder after that?

I have recovered from anorexia and are now at my pre-ed weight but I still feel the need to binge, I never restrict. I don't feel like it's emotional though, It's more like a litteraly hole in my stomach no matter what I eat. Ive had it almost since I started do MMs, it was gone for a while but came back again and now it just won't go away. Can I trust that it will just go away by itself if I keep following the hunger or should I try to restrict to at least 3500 calories a day? I feel like this should be over by now :/

Keep fighting guys! Smile

View user profile

2 Re: Extreme hunger/binge on Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:17 pm

And another note,
I have followed MM's guidelines except I never stopped working out until now. Could that have something to do with that my hunger won't go away? :/

View user profile

3 Re: Extreme hunger/binge on Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:22 pm

Yes, working out will make your body stay in starvation mode for longer. Rest, and I promise that the need for binging will go away

View user profile

4 Re: Extreme hunger/binge on Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:24 pm

Ahh., my answer partly disappeared... And no, you should not restrict, evwn if that makes you go above 3500. Restrictions are never the way out of an ED. Stay strong

View user profile

5 Re: Extreme hunger/binge on Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:25 pm

And my smileys disappeared, making me look quite cranky Smile

View user profile

6 Re: Extreme hunger/binge on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:24 pm

Thanks a lot for your answer! Smile I really hope youre right. I will give it another week with just resting and wish for it to pass. The thing is that my extreme hunger is really really EXTREME, so I don't know how long I can let it just go on, I don't have any starvation symptoms at all anymore so i'm very insecure it's the right thing to do now. :O
Do you or anyone else have any own experience with this?

View user profile

7 Re: Extreme hunger/binge on Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:45 pm

You maybe wanna give it more than a week, as your body may need time to heal. And extreme hunger is a symptom of starvation, so your not totally rid of the symptoms yet, but hang in there, because the finish line is not far away Smile

View user profile

8 Re: Extreme hunger/binge on Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:09 pm

Like susannsk89 said, exercise can be a major contributor to your extreme hunger. Stop exercising - and for way more than a week! It is important to rest throughout the recovery process, because of several factors (heart safety, starvation mode, mental health/exercise addiction, rest for repairs, etc). Read more about that here: http://letsrecover.tumblr.com/post/99986212405/why-doesnt-mm-make-us-fat(plus the two links in the bottom of this post).

Extreme hunger WILL pass. People experience it at any point in their recovery process; in the beginning, in the end, in the middle, on and off, never... Basically anything is possible. It is important to remember that hunger never happens without reason. Extreme hunger either means one needs to gain more weight (even if that is only 500 g), or that the body still has repairs to do (it needs energy for that). Or it could be both, of course.

It should also be said that extreme hunger is a part of life - for everyone. People in recovery from EDs just experience it A LOT more. Healthy people sometimes experience it when they have been trough a stressful period, during ovulation/menstruation, after forgetting one or more meals, etc.

I had most of my EH in early recovery and until my weight gain stopped - which took me ~3 months. But I have experienced it after that 3-month-mark as well, just not as often. It comes and goes, currently only a couple of times per month.

Bottom line; be patient, rest, and eat.  I love you

View user profile http://www.sjokoladeilomma.blogg.no

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum