Letsrecover recovery forum

This is a trigger-free recovery help forum for those recovering from restrictive eating disorders, such as anorexia, bulimia, binge-restrict, overexercise or ednos.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Facing a relapse

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Facing a relapse on Mon Dec 01, 2014 7:44 am

(possible TW? I don't think so but I'm putting it there nonetheless in case someone gets easily triggered!)
Hi guys,
I need your help. I think I've come to the point where I have to decide whether I want to live with my ED or without. I am constantly triggered for a few days (and I've never been someone who's easily triggered) plus I have some kind of feeling that everyone is relapsing right now? Everywhere I look, relapse, relapse, relapse... xy lost weight, z can't deal with this anymore, ... I think you understand me.
My body image gets worse, too. I wish I'd be thinner because everyone loses weight and I don't (even though I don't eat the minimums anymore, let's say TW around 2000 - 2300 TW END). I feel like a failure right now.
What I just described is the "bad" side of myself. On the other hand, I don't want to relapse. I don't want someone to worry about me, and I don't want to go back to the disordered eating. I love(d) the life I have now (let's say - most of it) but the problem is, the issue what triggered my ED (family problems) is still there and it's a matter of time how long it'll be there...
Anyways, my question is - how can I prevent that relapse? I know this sounds weird but are there any coping skills I have to know? Anything I can do so that I don't relapse? I just don't want to. I don't want to lose the happiness I discovered.
(If any of above is triggering - just tell me, I'll delete it and I'm very sorry!)
Sorry if there are lots of mistakes - my head's a mess.

2 Re: Facing a relapse on Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:26 pm

Hey there! One thing that eating disorders are really good at is making it seem like everyone around you is just as obsessed with their weight as you are. When I was really sick, I only saw the people around me restricting their intake. Even if I saw someone walking with sneakers on, I would assume that they were trying to burn calories. It is very easy to overlook the majority of people that are exercising for health (reducing cholesterol, regulating diabetes, etc.) instead of looking to burn xx amount of calories. Also, once my weight had stabilized, I realize that most of the people around me were eating for energy, not for restriction.
For example, when you have an ED and are out at a restaurant, who are you going to notice? The three families around you eating burgers/fries/soda and enjoying themselves or the one group of women ordering salads with ice water? Your ED will take this situation and make you think that just because a small percentage of the people you are around are restricting, that everybody is too. And this is just not true. Very Happy

View user profile

3 Re: Facing a relapse on Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:12 pm

Thank you for your answer!
But I don't think that this is my problem. (And I am not obsessed with numbers either... I was never a "typical anorexic", if it's okay to say so.) My weight's quite stabilized, too, and I know now that not everyone has an ED or eats just salad or whatever. I DO know that and I also see people with a normal eating behaviour. My problem is just that I can't cope with them who restrict/lose weight right now and I don't know how to cope with that and how to prevent a relapse. I am looking for kinda strategies which help me deal with that issue.
Have a nice day! Smile

4 Re: Facing a relapse on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:26 pm

What helps me is...
•looking at all my goals/dreams/wishes and reminding myself that none of the are achievable if I give in to my ED

•writing into my diary

•talking to my therapist: being honest about how I feel

•taking distance from triggers
-> remind yourself that your worth can't be counted in weight or size. You're a wonderful and valuable human being without your ED!!!
->loosing weight is not your life's purpose
->you've been there; did it make you happy?

Hope that helped a bit❤️

(Ich wünsch dir viel kraft: kämpf für das was dir wichtig ist!)

View user profile

5 Re: Facing a relapse on Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:00 pm

Thank you so much ♡ It was really helpful! I think I need to remind myself of the good things I can achieve if I fight Smile
(Danke ♡)

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum